W-2: Choosing Online Delivery Option, IRS Disclosure Information and Accessing Online W-2
Northern Kentucky University is excited to announce online W-2 open enrollment allowing currently employed faculty, staff and students the opportunity to receive their 2016 Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Form W-2 (W-2) online through myNKU Employee Self Service.
Northern Kentucky University is required to issue W-2s to all NKU employees by January 31, 2017 for the previous calendar year. The IRS regulations require the University to provide specific information (see below) to employees regarding the election of receiving their W-2 electronically and to obtain consent from all employees who choose to receive their W-2 electronically.
Please note: Once you have enrolled to receive your W-2 online through myNKU Employee Self Service you do not need to enroll again. Your election will remain in effect for future years unless you change your election or separate employment from the University.
Want to receive your W-2s electronically?
Simply select the online W-2 statement option through myNKU Employee Self-Service no later than January 14, 2017. Then access your online W-2 later that month (once you have been notified it is available).
Want to continue receiving printed W-2s?
No action is required for employees who wish to continue receiving printed W-2 forms by mail. They will have a paper W-2 form printed and mailed by Northern Kentucky University no later than January 31, 2017, to the employee’s mailing address on file in the SAP HR/Payroll system. Employees who have separated employment from Northern Kentucky University will have a W-2 paper form printed and mailed.
IRS Disclosure Information
If you have questions, please contact the Payroll Office at 859-572-6326.
- Hardware and software requirements to receive W-2 electronically include a computer with internet access, web browser and a NKU username and password.
- Internet Explorer 11 and Firefox are recommended for optimal user experience in the myNKU portal.
- Employees must give consent prior to receiving W-2 online in an electronic format.
- If you do not consent to receive your W-2 electronically, a paper W-2 will be mailed to the mailing address on file in the HR/Payroll system.
- If you do consent to receive your W-2 electronically, Northern Kentucky University will not mail you a paper W-2.
- You will need to access your W-2 through myNKU Employee Self Service (ESS) to view and print your W-2.
- Any time during the W-2 open enrollment period of December 14, 2016 – January 14, 2017 employees may change their election.
- If the election period is closed employees may choose to change their election by contacting the Payroll Office.
- An employee’s withdrawal of consent will be effective the date received by the Payroll office.
- Withdrawn consent does not apply to previously issued W-2 forms.
- Your election will remain in effect for future years unless you change your election or separate employment from the University.
- Separation from the University will result in a paper W-2 being mailed to the mailing address on file in the HR/Payroll system.
- An employee may still receive a mailed paper W-2 even if they elected to receive an electronic W-2 by contacting the Payroll Office any time after February 13, 2017.
- Requests for a paper W-2 does not withdraw the employee’s consent for electronic delivery of future W-2s.
- Employees W-2 forms will remain available online in Employee Self-Service for at least 5 years. Previous W-2 forms for years 2015 and prior are not available online. Employees may request copies of prior year forms by contacting the Payroll Office.
- Employees may be required to print and attach W-2 to their annual tax return(s).